Sunday, January 1, 2012

Top 10 Places to go in Oregon in 2012

1. Crater Lake. I've heard so much about this place. A good friend said that he was more impressed with this place than the Grand canyon....I've never seen either but that's hard to believe. The complicated thing is that this place is hard to get to during the winter because of the snow.

2. Redwood National Forest. From what I understand most of the Redwood forest is in California but I think it overlaps into Oregon...right?? Regardless, I can't wait to see these massive trees!


3.  Cannon Beach, Astoria and the Tillamook Cheese Factory. I put these 3 together because I believe we can mark all 3 of these off in one trip. Cannon Beach has the famous Haystack Rock. Astoria is where they filmed The Goonies!!! We love that movie. Also, I just found out today that, Kindergarten Cop, Free Willy, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, Short Circuit, and Come See the Paradise were all filmed in Astoria also.  I want to go to the Tillamook Cheese Factory because they make the most amazing cheese ever!


4.  The Roloff Farm. Aka "The little people in a big world" farm. If you know me, you know that I LOVE going to see places that I've seen on TV. I'm quite the reality TV junkie. This wasn't one of my reality TV addictions but I did see it several times. We wanted to take the girls there in October to get a pumpkin but we never made it.


5.  Snow Tubing at the Willamette Pass.  Actually just Snow Tubing...but the Willamette pass, I believe, is the closest place to our house. I really want to take the girls. I think Deci would love this.



6.  Bend, Or.  I've only drove through Bend. Some of our friends spent some time in Bend and their pictures make me want to go back and actually get out of the car. I hate to admit it but we haven't even been hiking since we've been here. It's hard with kids. I think Deci would be able to hike an easy trail but we don't have a pack were we could carry Journey. I think Bend would be a perfect place to go hiking.


7.  The Oregon Zoo. Portland, Or.  We went to the museum right beside the Zoo but it was too cold for the Zoo that day.  We have been trying to plan a trip back since.  The hard thing we are figuring out about planning outdoor activities in Oregon is that you have to plan them in June-September because of the rain.  I guess after we've been here a little while longer we won't let a little rain (and cold) slow us down...I hope anyways...


8.  Mount Pisgah.  Our neighbors said this is one of their favorite places to go to hike that's local.


9.  Ride a bike through town, around town, and on the bike paths by the river.  This may sound silly. I live in a town where EVERYONE rides their bike. There are two-lane bike paths going through town. I love riding bikes but for some reason here it intimidates me to ride. Q rode his bike to work a few times. I would love for us to be able to ride together but then we have kids...which doesn't slow anyone else down in the city.  I've got to figure this out...It's just as simple as spending a couple of hundred dollars on a bike trailer....that's all... ;)



10. Watch a race at Hayward Field. When we were praying about moving to Oregon I remember seeing the Olympic track and field trails on TV. It was here at Hayward Field. I remember seeing the blue sky (it must have been summer.) and the big white puffy clouds float over the bleachers and that is when I decided I must watch a race there.  The 2012 Olympic track and field trails are being held here and I would love to get a ticket...from what I hear they are hard to get. (and expensive) Maybe I'll be a stalker and just go walk around close by and see what I can see.


Well...that was a long post.  Who's coming out to visit me in 2012?? Who wants to help me check off my to-do list?? :)

No comments: