It's Wednesday! That means it's time for Wednesday's List. Join me and write a post in list form, then leave a comment and let me know you are joining me so I (along with others) can check your list out! I LOVE LIST!
I've been pondering this list for a while. The difference between Alabama and Oregon. Believe me the list is quite long so I'm going to break this into 2 parts. So...here goes :)
The Difference between Alabama and Oregon (Part 1)
- The Weather. Oh, I could say so much about the difference in the weather...but then I'd get all depressed that I'm still having the Winter Blues...so I'll keep it short. It rains a lot here. A LOT...but not a lot all at once. It drizzles all day long here, where in Alabama it pours for an hour or two then the sun comes back out (most of the time). The Winter is LONG here and short Summers, BUT when it is Summer here it's WONDERFUL. Absolutely perfect weather to play outside. Alabama Summers can be Too hot for most people (I just so happen to love the heat...) and lots of humidity (which I'm loving living without). Also no Tornado's here and I don't believe I've seen lightening (thunderstorms) since I've been here.
- If someone invites you to their house to eat here in OR usually you will not be offered Coke products...you will have water or wine. (or Coffee)
- Lots and Lots and Lots of Coffee here. Everyone drinks it...even kids... Coffee shops are EVERYWHERE. There are these drive-thru coffee places that are about as small as a walk-in closet. At our old house in Springfield, OR you could go a mile (or less) in any direction and hit one of these coffee shops. (I just counted 7 that were in a mile of my old house!) We lived 1 mile away from 2 different star bucks. Seriously! CRAZY and I LOVE it!
- Kids. Kids don't wear hair bows here...or not a lot anyways. Here kids wear layers. Leggins, skirts, rain boots... RAIN BOOTS are everywhere. Alabama kids wear dresses. Frilly dresses and Bows! I don't see a lot of frilly dresses here in Oregon. Also it seems in the AL kids wear a lot of initialed clothes, bags...well anything you can initial. I don't hardly see anything initialed here...especially not clothing.
- Speaking of Dresses. Someone once warned me about this one. I got my hair cut by a girl about my age just after we moved here. She was really interested in the South. She said she really wanted to be a Southerner, wear a sundress, bake a casserole and show up at a picnic. haha! :) I wondered why people in Oregon don't wear dresses. Well, this Summer I figured it out. It's only warm enough to wear dresses for about a month or two here (for me anyways! ha!). So, why buy a dress when you can only wear it for one month? Or maybe for real Oregonians there is another reason...
- ORGANIC. Oregonians are all natural. There are several grocery stores here selling all natural foods. I know there are people in AL that eat all Natural foods, Organic and Gluten Free but here it's to the extreme!
- In AL you have Rednecks. In Oregon you have Hippies.
- I don't have to pump my own gas here in OR!!! It's actually illegal to pump your own gas and I LOVE it!
- Dogs. More people here have dogs than in AL it seems.. If you have a dog here it's really a kid. You can take your dog to work, church, out to eat. I see more dogs in the strangest places here than ever before. It seems in AL people don't take their dogs everywhere with them...Dogs are USUALLY just pets...maybe in the backyard or some even in the house. Some have hunting dogs.
Well, there you go... just a few differences. Come back next Wednesday for Part 2.
If you've been to both AL (or the South, really) and OR (or the North West), I would love to hear the differences you noticed. :)