Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What to do with a toddler on a cold or Rainy day?

Last week was the longest week of my life. I was stuck inside with this sick child of mine. She had a cold, a really bad cold. She had a fever and for the first few days all she wanted to do was lay on the couch and watch T.V. After that we got VERY bored and I struggled to find things to do inside.



We did manage to get out one day because I promised my child (the day before) that we would play in the snow.... well, as you can see in the next picture we didn't get much snow. We walked out to Pop's and Hilde's house and 1/2 way across the yard Deci started yelling for me to pick her up because it was soooo cold. We were very bundled up but my face was freezing! It was below freezing here in Alabama for over a week. I was miserable.


This picture is sideways but I got out a baking Sheet and let Deci play with her letters on it instead of the fridge.



One day we made a craft. It's a snowflake!


This is her sticking the blue paper onto contact paper. She used her new scissors the Gram, my mom (Dee as Deci calls her) got her for Christmas. A few days later we made a Sun hoping the sun would come out. :)


Dress up and a fort! Can you see the fort in the background over the table?


I let her make a mess and I didn't care!


I discovered Nutella this week. Which I can't look at without getting nauseous now!




We both Painted! (Which makes a big mess) She was still very snotty at this point and had paint all over her face from wiping snot. :/

She was so proud of her picture.



That's all I took pictures of but we also pumped up her baby pool from a few years ago and let her play in it. She pretends it's her home and gets ALL 10 of her babies and puts them into her pool and reads them books.


Also we played with the classic play-dough.


Not this week but in the past I have got dried noodles and let her play with them in a bowl with a spoon like she is cooking. She started throwing these all over the floor though and I kept sweeping them up and throwing them away until they were all gone.


Please share with me ways I can keep sane these next few winter months with a Toddler! :)


2 comments:

B. Yarbrough said...

We feel your indoor pain! I always put the kids tent up and let them have flashlights in there with their books and stuffed animals. I also let them play in shaving cream with their cars and trucks. I squirt it on a cookie sheet and let them have at it - they also just play with it like finger paint. We have also used rice. We actually used an old sand/water table and put rice in it - it is currently on our back porch and I just drag it in when I am desperate. I have also just put them in the shower with bath crayons and let them write on the walls and them clean it off with bath scrubbers. You can also put her in the bathtub and give her some bubbles to play with - less messy than in the house. Good Luck and let me know if she likes any of these things!

Audrey said...

Thanks Brooke! I have got to get Deci a tent, she would love that. We use to use shaving cream when I taught 3-year-old preschool and I forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me! I'll let you know how it goes! :)